Friday, October 17, 2008

Things in games people like, but I hate

I'm an odd type of gamer. There are a lot of things people love in video games that I absolutely hate.

#1: Voice Acting

I am not a fan of voice acting in games. This might be because I only play Nintendo games, which rarely have voices. In fact, the only games I've ever played with Voice Acting are Mario Sunshine, Elebits, and Spirits and Spells for the GameCube. Spirits and Spells was by far the best voice acting of the three, but that's not saying much. Mario Sunshine had good voices for the Piantas, FLUUD, and Toadsworth, but the rest was horrible. Elebits is laughable horrible.

Everyone wants the next Zelda to have voice work, but can you imagine playing a game like Majora's Mask that has voices? Most of the greatness to that game was that it was dark and depressing, and part of that was made by the way YOU read the text. If the Happy Mask Salesman had a voice reading it, that would ruin it. So if another Zelda game with the same dark tone as Majora's Mask was made with voices, that would be the end of Zelda for me. Voice Work in games sucks.

#2: 1 to 1 controls

Also in relation to Zelda, people desperately want Wii Motion plus controls for 1 to 1 sword fighting. I think this would be terrible. In fact, I really don't like the Wii's motion for anything other than IR. No waggle for anything. Buttons are fine for Zelda and such. Maybe I'm just too attached to the olden days, but Button presses are fine.

#3: Altering the story by in game choices

Games with stories need a beginning, middle, and end. And only ONE of them! Take for instance, if Final Fantasy 7 had an alternate ending where Aieris survives and gets together with Cloud for a fairy tale happy ending. You can damn well guess I want that ending! Why would you want a sad ending to a game you worked hard to beat? Would that be satisfying? NO! It would suck! Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic or some junk like that, but I want the happy endings where the guy gets the girl. And in relation to this element, let's talk about....

#4: Games with a story in general.

Remember the NES? Back in the day where a guy and girl are on a picnic, the girl gets kidnaped by the devil, and you find a suit of armour and go rescue her? Or when some giant turtle kidnaps a princess and you just go rescue her? I remeber those days. Why do we need some stupid story to halt the game? (Super Paper Mario anyone?) And what about Kirby? Kirby is awesome, and you never hear any story besides Dedede either taking away the stars, or some evil eyeball is attacking. Kirby saved its plot making for the anime, and that turned out great. TV shows need plots. Games don't.

#5: Really long games

I don't know about you, but I don't have the patience to play the same game for 50 hours or something stupid like that. Games should not be that long. Though they shouldn't be overly short either. Kirby games rock, but are way too short. They're so short that Kirby's adventure had a mode where you play through the whole game in one sitting without being able to save. It takes about an hour to beat. 6 or 7 hours? That's fine. Maybe still a bit long, but it's better. Don't make your games overly long.

There are more things, but I can't list them all. Let's just say I look for a lot of different things in games than the average gamer.

No comments: